Who We Are
Controlled at the community level, Family Connection is present in every county in Georgia. It is the largest statewide network of communities in the nation that have made a commitment to improve results for children and families. Communities In Schools, present in fifty Georgia communities and over 2,000 communities in the U.S., also controlled at the local level, is the nation’s largest dropout prevention initiative. For the last two years, Worth magazine named Communities In Schools one of the 100 best nonprofits in the U.S.
In Pickens Family Connection we are a partnership of over 30 organizations working with families to research the needs of children and families in our community, and to work together to address those needs.
Our Over-Arching Goal: All Children Will Succeed in School and in Life.
We pursue that goal by addressing the root causes of problems, building on cultural and other strengths, pooling resources, engaging an extraordinary diversity of community members, and committing to a long-term process of planning, implementation, and evaluation.
Using a family-centered approach, we tap existing resources, streamline systems to be more efficient and effective, and initiate new projects like those listed below.
A Few of Our Pickens County Organizational Partners
Partners that have attended our monthly collaborative meetings are:
Appalachia Children’s Center ACC, Appalachian Family Law Center, Appalachian Way Counseling LLC, Boys and Girls Club of North GA, CARES, CASA, Chattahoochee Technical College, Children First – C 1st, Collaborations for Resiliency, Double H Ranch, District Attorney – Appalachian District, Episcopal Church of the Holy Family, Ferst Foundation, GA HOPE, Good Samaritan Health and Wellness Clinic of Pickens County, Head Start, Health Department, Highland Rivers Mental Health, Joy House, Juvenile Court, North GA Mountain Crisis Center, Inc , North Georgia Pregnancy Center, Optimist Club of Jasper, Optimist International Club – Prevent Child Abuse Pickens, Pickens County BOE and Schools, Pickens County Chamber of Commerce, Pickens County Commissioner, Pickens County Ministerial Association, Pickens County Sheriff, Renew Counseling of North Georgia, Ruth House Ministries, Sequoyah Library, St. Vincent de Paul Society, Superior Court, Thrift Store, Timothy House, Wellcare, WIC, Women’s Center at Piedmont Mountainside Hospital.and many others. Our most important partners are the families whose children we are serving.
Some of the projects that have been initiated through this process in Georgia
- Prekindergarten Program
- Even Start family literacy program
- Early Head Start
- Homeless Education program
- Anti-truancy initiative
- Nutrition and health insurance outreach
- Summer Youth Program
- Community Partnership for Protecting Children
- Various welfare-to-work strategies
- Community Education Summit
- Unified Government, and School District
Some of Our Results in Georgia
Working in partnership with families, we have tackled intractable problems like teen pregnancy, child abuse and neglect, school dropout, and physical and mental health disparities, with implementation by the partners (School District, Health Department, DFCS, Advantage, et al.).
- Working together, our partners have achieved remarkable results. For example:
- Teen pregnancy – after increasing annually for many years – began moving downward when our partners developed and implemented a comprehensive, holistic plan starting in 1992, and is now 42% lower;
- We pulled together our partners to strategize about truancy; within three years of implementation of the strategies, the number of students absent more than ten days had declined by 23%;
- Thanks in part to our welfare to work initiatives, led by the Departments of Family & Children Services and Labor, the traditional welfare rolls in our county declined by more than 95%;
- With the leadership of Public Health in collaboration with other partners, childhood immunization has increased by 15%;
- the percentage of babies born healthy (as defined by Public Health) is up by 31%, and
- child poverty is down by 12%.
Our success is our partners’ success – we bring them together, they develop and implement the strategies. Our most important partners are the families whose children are being served.
Please join with us through financial support (tax deductible) and/or active participation to achieve our goal: All children will succeed in school and in life.